Thursday, September 24, 2009

Danger at the Door by Michelle Sutton ~ 4/5 stars

Danger at the Door
by Michelle Sutton

Desert Breeze Publishing
August 1, 2009

About the book:
Upon her fiancé's death, Laney became a recluse who only left her home for emergencies. She managed to survive - barely - on food delivery service and her work-at-home job. When she tries to move on from her grief, the commemorative meal she orders is ruined. However, it leads to an unlikely friendship with an attractive man, Bojan, who speaks little English.

As he befriends Laney he continually says the wrong things, but he doesn't give up trying to win her trust. Meanwhile, she has this strange feeling of being watched and wonders if she's losing her mind.

Complicating things further, every time she leaves her house something bad happens, confirming that she is safer at home. Can Bojan convince Laney she'll be safe with him, or will his presence put her in further danger? Will he be able to protect the woman he loves before it's too late?

My review:
Danger at the Door was really good. I’m giving it 4 stars not because the story was in any way lacking, but because I wish it could have been a little longer, and the crisis a little more drawn-out. I don’t normally read suspense, but this was not too scary, even for me. It isn’t horror at all. This was very different from her other book “Its Not About Me”, as that one is written more toward teens, and this one more toward adults. Though, any age group older teen and up can relate to Sutton’s books, I believe. The romance in this book was more warm/sweet than her other book, though, in typical Sutton-style, she has one very romantic kiss. It seemed to me like the actual conflict with the stalker was a little rushed, but that might be because I was imagining all kinds of long, horrible battles in my mind. I loved Bojan! He is hilarious, and I loved how she used their communication barrier to create funny, awkward, and other kinds of situations throughout the book. Laney’s fears were dealt with in a very unique way, and she is also an amazing character. One thing I love about Sutton’s books is that she always includes God. He becomes another character in the story, not just a deity casually mentioned whenever she thought she had not done so in a while. In our real lives, it should be they same way. He should be a main character, comfortable and familiar. Sutton did a great job of showing everyone’s need for God, while not shoving “religion” down people’s throats.

3 comments:

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Great blog! I have yet to read any of Michelle's books but I'm definitely planning on it! I love your poll BTW too...I had a very hard time deciding which one to pick LOL!!!

XOXO~ Renee

Anonymous said...

Very good! l cant wait to read this book-Michelle is a great writer! Priscilla

Carman said...

Renee~ Collin is my favorite. Although, Mitch and Brady are both awesome too!
Priscilla~ Yes, she is! I bet you will love this book! I hope you get to read it soon.