Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Driftwood Lane by Denise Hunter ~ 5 stars + Favorite

Driftwood Lane
Denise Hunter
Nantucket Love Story series #4
Thomas Nelson Publishers
About the book:
Meridith believes she is capable of weathering any storm. But she's never experienced a love powerful enough to uproot her...until now.

Meridith Ward has crafted a carefully ordered life to make up for the chaos that plagued her childhood years. But one phone call upsets all that. Within the span of several minutes, Meredith learns that the father who abandoned her is dead and she's been named the sole guardian of his other three children. She nervously heads to Nantucket to care for the siblings she's never met with plans to stay until their uncle returns from his trip before relinquishing guardianship to him.

She arrives to find the children living in Summer House, a Bed & Breakfast that's falling apart around them. Meridith wants to move on as soon as possible, but the inn will never sell in its dilapidated condition. Then an itinerant handyman, Jake, shows up with an offer she can't refuse.

Much like the powerful ocean just a short walk from her deck, Jake appeals to Meridith. But she senses he is also capable of pulling her under in a heartbeat. What if the thing she fears the most is exactly what she needs? Can she trust God with the details and relish the adventure?

My review:
Driftwood Lane is another great book by Denise Hunter. She really knows how to tell a story. This book has rich character details, and her writing draws you into the setting of Nantucket. I liked how real the book felt. It didn’t seem unbelievable despite the unusual circumstances. Denise did a great job tying in Meredith’s past experiences and showing the effect they had later on in her life. Jake is a great hero for this story and I loved how connected he was to those kids! The ending was *perfect* and I wouldn’t change a thing about it. I would definitely recommend each and every book in this series.

12 comments:

Bluerose said...

This is another one I've had my eye on, but i didn't realize it was a series. I'll have to check out the others, too.
I just love books and movies from that area, though! So beautiful, even in words!! :)

Carman said...

bluerose~ The books aren't connected with each other like a regular series. You never see the characters later on or hear of them. So they don't have to be read in the order they came out. I think so too! She paints a beautiful picture in her books. :)

Molly said...

This is on the top of my priority list to read! I can't wait to get to this book and open it! Thanks so much for sharing your review and making it one that I can't wait to read!

Blessings
~Molly

Anonymous said...

The setting alone of Drifwood Daze makes me want to read it. I am crazy over Nantucket. The characters sound very good. This must be a grea read.


CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

MaureenT said...

This sounds like an interesting book...I think I can follow to the ending, but I am interested in reading this.

alekee02[at]yahoo[dot]com

apple blossom said...

I love books with rich characters and that draw you in. thanks for the review

Carman said...

Molly~ I hope you get to read it soon, then! It really is great. :D Thanks for commenting!

Carol~ I want to go there one day. It sounds beautiful. :)

Maureen~ I hope you get to! I bet you would enjoy it. :)

apple blossom~ Denise's books definitely do that. She has a great writing style.

Carole said...

I just got this book from PaperBackSwap and look forward to reading it. I'm drawn to books with a New England setting, and my daughter and I visited Cape Cod (including Nantucket) a few years ago - a trip which is a highlight of my life.

cjarvis [at] bellsouth [dot] net

misskallie2000 said...

Love this story line. Family is always important in your life and in this case a necessity. Thanks for the great review. I am putting this one on my wish list.

misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

Carman said...

Carole~ Awesome! I want to go there one day. I'm glad you got to go and have a great time! :D

misskallie2000~ I think so too! Awesome! I hope you get to read it soon!

Sylvia said...

I loved this book when I read it! The chemistry between the two leads was wonderful and the children acted their ages. I also liked the fact that the heroine had a real reason for dating her boyfriend. So many authors like a rival boyfriend, but make them completely opposite of each other. These two were opposite, but there was a pshycological reason behind her choice.

Carman said...

Sylvia~ I thought so too. Like I said about her past, and the way Denise showed why Meredith acted the way she did b/c of it. I like when authors add the cause/effect element to their books b/c that is the way life is.