Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Anonymous Bride by Vickie McDonough ~ 4 stars

The Anonymous Bride
Vickie McDonough
Texas Boardinghouse Brides series #1
Barbour Publishing
About the book:
Three mail-orders brides arrive in Lookout, Texas, each expecting to marry the local marshal. But—he didn't order a bride. When a contest ensues to discover which bride will make him the best wife, there is a surprise fourth entry--an anonymous one. Mayhem occurs as the whole town tries to figure out who the anonymous bride is, and the mayor pressures the marshal to pick a bride or lose his job. Will Marshal Davis tuck tail and run for the hills? Or will he lose his heart and his bachelorhood?

My review:
I had expected this book to be pretty funny from what I had read about it, but, to me, it was more of a “funny-circumstances’ than a “laugh-out-loud-comedy” kind of a book. I really did enjoy it, just not in a “this book will crack you up” kind of way. The first and secondary characters were great and I loved them all. (I really loved how two certain scoundrel boys turned out to be so protective and caring towards Jack. LOVED IT.)

I liked how Vickie showed how important it is to forgive others in this book. Especially how she showed that the thing we are so angry about, might not even be something we should be angry about. We don’t usually know the whole story and we need to reserve judgment until we do. She wrote that theme into the book in a very poignant way. That lesson will certainly stay with me, and help me to be slower to anger towards others for their supposed wrongs toward me. Definitely recommended to people who like a sweet romance with a message.

10 comments:

rbooth43 said...

Any book that tells about forgiving others,especially how it shows that the thing we are so angry about, might not even be something we should be angry about. As you pointed out, we don’t usually know the whole story and we need to reserve judgment until we do. That theme into the book in a very poignant way shows a very important lesson that will help me to be slower to anger towards others for their supposed wrongs toward me. Just that alone tells me this is a book I need to read.
Thanks, Vickie.

Linda said...

I am still waiting for "Too Close Too Soon."
desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

Esther Miriam Lopez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carman said...

rbooth43~ I'm glad my review was helpful for you. :) I completely agree. :) Thanks for stopping by!

Linda~ Sorry about the delay! I'm going to get to that very soon. I'm still trying to catch upi from being sick and from my computer having viruses. I'll get to it asap. :) Thanks for your patience!

Bluerose said...

I've really been wanting to read this one, also! I thought it was going to be funny, too. Sweet romances are my favorite!!

apple blossom said...

I have this book. I guess I should move it to the top of my TBR pile. I love funny books

Carman said...

bluerose~ Then I'm sure you'll like this. It's a good book. :)

Apple blossom~ Me too. Mary Connealy is one of my favorite authors. :)

Katie said...

Sounds like a winner to me! I shoulds really buy this one! Thanks so much for the review! Loved it!

God bless!

~Katie G.

Edna said...

this is a great book I did a review on it also



mamat2730 at charter dot net

Carman said...

Katie~ Thanks for commenting. Glad my review could help. :)

Edna~ Cool. If you'll post your review's address I'll go check it out and see what you thought of the book. :)