Monday, February 22, 2010

Becoming Lucy by Martha Rogers ~ 4 stars

Becoming Lucy
Martha Rogers
Winds Across the Prairie series, #1
Realms publishing
About the book:
In 1896, after her parents' deaths, seventeen-year-old Lucinda Bishop is sent to Oklahoma to live with her aunt and uncle. But Oklahoma ranch life brings her more than she bargained for when she meets ranch hand Jake Starnes, a drifter who is running from his past. As her friendship with Jake grows, Lucinda faces emotions she's never before experienced. As Jake learns more about God's love for him, he realizes he must face his past and the consequences of his actions, even if it means he will lose the girl he loves. Will he be able to get his life together before someone else claims her hand... or even her life?

My review:
Lucinda Bishop is a girl who has lost everything that is dear to her, and is trying to find her place in life following the death of her parents. Jake Starnes has endured too much tragedy in his young life, and doesn’t believe that God loves him and can forgive his past sins. Lucy’s aunt, uncle, and cousins all love and support these two and encourage them to be their very best.

The mystery shootings also added an element of suspense to this book, without making it a suspenseful book, if you know what I mean. I’ve always loved the cowboy code of honor, and how they take care of damsels in distress, so I automatically fell in love with the cowboys who helped Lucy. I really liked this book and its characters and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

3 comments:

Shirley Ann said...

I've never heard of this author before but the story sounds really good. I am really looking forward to reading this! Looks like I need to make a stop at the Christian book store.


S

Unknown said...

I have never read this author before but this books sounds really good.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Carman. I thought the romance aspect was seriously lacking, but it was an okay read. :)

I have an award for you here:

http://someofmyfavoritebooks.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-blog-awards.html

{{hugs}}