Monday, November 16, 2009

Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill ~ 4/5 stars

Me, Just Different
Stephanie Morrill

Revell - Publisher
About the book:

Getting a fresh start is harder than it looks.

Skylar Hoyt is a girl who seems to have it all—she’s pretty, popular, and has a great-looking boyfriend. Her senior year should be the best one yet. But a horrible experience at a summer party has changed everything. Now she’s vowing to make better choices, including going back to church. But as Skylar tries to gain new perspective on life, the world as she knows it begins to fall apart.

Her parents are constantly fighting. Her younger sister has a big secret that Skylar is forced to keep. The guy she’s dating is annoyingly jealous. And the new guy down the street is just plain annoying. In the midst of the chaos, Skylar starts to wonder who her real friends are and, even more importantly, who she is.

My review:
 
This is a must-read for teen girls today. Me, Just Different reminded me of Michelle Sutton’s Second Glances series. Both this book and Michelle’s DEAL WITH ISSUES! I love that. Teens today are so deceived by the secular worldview of things, and books like this one are what they need to read. While still being fun, enjoyable reads, they really show the truth of things. They aren’t fluff, like most teen books are nowadays.

I cried SO hard! This book will really make you feel things. I felt so sorry for Skylar and what she was going through. Since I have been raised in a Christian, homeschooled environment my whole life, some of the things in this book amazed me. I’ve never had to deal with drugs, alcohol, smoking, or teen pregnancy. I feel so blessed to have been raised in such a way that I would be able to have a strong Christian foundation before having to deal with those things. So watching Skylar having to deal with them, without the strong Christian upbringing, was heartbreaking. She didn’t know what to do, or how to handle what was going on around her.

I’m really anxious to know what happens in the rest of the series! I believe that the rest of the books will be just as good as this one. Again, a must-read for teens today.

7 comments:

SuperMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SuperMom said...

Hey Carmen,
Thanks for stopping by WhatYouReadingNow.blogspot.com

I'm happy that you are excited to have been homeschooled all your years... I was not but hate the school system in my area so I keep my kids home! I love it... as of now they love it too!

I'm gonna follow your blog and grab your button. (Can you tell me how to but it so others can grab my button? I'm gonna make one! ladyverlinaATyahooDOTcom)

Thanks!!

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

I'm not really in to Christian teen fiction for some reason but this sounds good! Thank you for sharing!

I have an award for you here!
http://steelergirl83.blogspot.com/2009/11/award.html

xoxo~ Renee

Carman said...

Praying Mom~ I'm so glad that you decided to do something about not liking the scool system in your area. Sadly, most people probably would have just put thier kids there anyway. :/ Sure! Lori @ Some Of My Favorite Books told me how to do it. I would be glad to send you the directions, and help you in any way I can.

Renee~ Strangely, I've never been in to teen books either. They seemed so pointless until I started reading Christian Fiction, and found some great ones. I hope that if you read it, you enjoy it as much as I did. :D Thank you for the award! :D I've gotten three so far and it just feels nice. ;) Thank you so much!

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

Hey, Carman,

That was sweet of you to mention my series in your review. :) I read this book, too, and it was real, which is why I liked it.

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Hi Carman! Don't get me wrong I love YA fiction but have just never read any Christian ones before that I really liked but they seem to be putting a lot more out that look very interesting! I even have some on my wishlists LOL!

xoxo~ Renee

Carman said...

Michelle~ I'm glad you liked it! The book was different from what I had expected (fluff), instead it was very real like your series. The same thing happened with your series, because fluff was all I had ever gotten out of a YA book. I'm so glad there are writers like you out there!
Renee~ OH, ok. I get it now. ;) If you haven't checked out the other series that I metioned in my review, then you should. Both books has been excellent and book three is coming out next year. :D