Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Love's Rescue by Tammy Barley ~ 4/5 stars

Love's Rescue
Tammy Barley
The Sierra Chronicles, Book 1

Whitaker House- Publisher
About the book:

A Dividing Conflict
In 1863, the War Between the States is dividing more than a nation. To escape the conflict, Jessica Hale and her family flee their Kentucky home and head for Nevada Territory. Her brother, Ambrose, committed to the Confederates, rejoins his Kentucky militia and is disowned by his father. But the worst is yet to come.

A Heroic Kidnapper
When Unionists presume the family to be Confederate sympathizers, they set a devastating fire to their home. All alone and then “kidnapped” by cattleman Jake Bennett, Jessica is taken to a ranch deep in the Sierra Nevada wilderness. Can she overcome her resentment toward Jake for failing to save her family?

The Depths of Love
When Jake launches a plan to help Jessica’s brother escape from prison camp, she sees him for the honest, good-hearted Christian man that he is and now knows the depth of his love for her. Through the lingering smoke and smoldering ashes from her ruined home and murdered family, will Jessica see a future with Jake?

 
My review:
I really enjoyed this one! All the ranch happenings were really fun to read about and didn’t get so detailed that you were bored. The way Tammy skipped long periods of time was very well written. Since this book takes place over a few years, she couldn’t include all the day-to-day occurrences; I think she wrote the book in a way that the gaps weren’t missed and it was still easy to follow the storyline. The civil war era is one of my favorites to read about, and this book didn’t disappoint. I loved the way Tammy wrote the cowhands! They are now some of my favorite characters. I especially loved how gentle and protective they were with Jess. It was too sweet! I’m now very anxious to read book two. ;) Congrats to Tammy Barley for this great read!

1 comment:

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hi Carman ~

I'm so glad to know that you enjoyed this book...it's in my TBR mountain. :p I'm not a big fan of "war" themes, but this one sounded really good so I bought it.

Great review...thanks for sharing!
~ Lori