Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Driven by Shellie Neumeier ~ 4 stars

Driven
Shellie Neumeier
Risen Books
About the book:
Robyn can’t help but notice the handsome new guy at her school. She ignores, however, the arrival of another being at Brookfield Central High School—a demon assigned to destroy her…

Robyn loves her friends, enjoys her youth group, and looks forward to meeting cute Caleb Montague. But when a caustic news reporter challenges her school’s prayer team, Robyn must choose: defend their right to meet on campus and pray for whomever they wish or back down at the principal’s request.

Now she must learn what God wants her to do. And she had better learn fast, because there’s a supernatural enemy in town whose sole mission is to stop her—no matter the cost.

My review:
While the writing didn’t blow me away, I definitely saw potential. There was nothing really wrong, just a few small things that will probably be ironed out with time. There were a some theological differences from what I believe in the book, but nothing that made me angry or want to stop reading. However, the book DID make me take a look at my prayer life and spiritual battles in a new way. (That was definitely a plus!) If there is a sequel, or a series following this book, I will most certainly be reading it.

12 comments:

emii said...

I've seen this book around the blog world a lot, so I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the review, Carman -- honest and the book sounds interesting!

Shellie said...

Thank you, Carman. I'm glad the story got you thinking--always a good thing. And I appreciate the honest review. Always looking to improve :).

Emii, I hope you enjoy it. Love to hear what you think when you're done.

Take care, Shellie

Faith said...

I really like all of your honest reviews, Carman. Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll read it.

Courtney said...

I also read this book and I just loved it!! It really had me thinking about the spiritual battles we all face! Very inspirational! Great honest review Carman!

Carol N Wong said...

Thank you for another great review. That's a big plus if the book got you to thinking. I am wondering what the small things that will probably be ironed out in time are. You have me curious.

CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

Anne Payne said...

It's always a good thing when something makes us examine our prayer life. And I think many people don't realize how much spiritual warfare we face daily as Christians. Awareness is a good thing!

Nancye said...

I like reading books that make me think. Thanks for your honest review.

nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

Jubilee Reviews said...

Do you think this was geared more for teens and young adults? Sounded interesting, good review.
melanie

Lady DragonKeeper said...

Hmm, it almost sounds like "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Thanks for the summary!

Tracy Smith said...

Another great review Carman. I enjoy reading your thoughts on these books. Sounds like I will have to check this one out.

countrysunset40 at aol dot com

Casey said...

Interesting thoughts Carman, I appreciate them, gets the person reading the review thinking too. :)

Unknown said...

thanks for the honest and insightful review. I'll look forward to reading it. I like the story line of the issues on a school campus--facing similar issues on college campus