Wednesday, January 5, 2011

In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer ~ 5 stars

In Every Heartbeat
Kim Vogel Sawyer
Bethany House
About the book:
Three best friends, three cherished dreams, three searching hearts...

As three friends who grew up in the same orphanage head off to college together, they each harbor a special plan for the future. Libby Conley hopes to become a famous journalist. Pete Leidig believes God has called him to study to become a minister. And Bennett Martin plans to pledge a fraternity, find a place to belong, and have as much fun as possible. But as tensions rise around the world on the brink of World War I, the friends' differing aspirations and opinions begin to divide them, as well.

When Libby makes a shocking discovery about Pete's family, will it drive a final wedge between the friends or bond them in ways they never anticipated?

My review:
I enjoyed this story very much. The sweetness of the friendships, families, and blossoming love really touched me. Sawyer has a writing voice that is unique in its gentleness. That is the only word I can think of to describe the way she writes. It is a gentle, flowing voice that weaves a story around you. I love reading her books, even if the romance is not the main theme in her them.

Libby, Pete, and Bennett were excellent characters to use together. They were so similar in circumstances and occasional reactions, yet so different in their character. One thing that I wished changed was Bennett’s story. I wish more was told about his journey. This book just seemed to scratch the surface of his story, and left me wanting to know more. But, who knows, maybe he will get his own book one day. *I do want to say that this is the sequel to Sawyer’s other book, My Heart Remembers. The main characters are not the same, but they do play a large role in this book. If you are a stickler about reading things in order (like I am) you might want to check that book out first.*

Thanks to Bethany House for my free review copy of this book.

12 comments:

Katie Marie said...

I have this book in my TBR pile. Thanks for the review - I'm looking forward to reading it!

~ Katy

Michelle V said...

I loved this book also! It made me hope that maybe she'll give us a story about Bennett later.

Blessings
Michelle V

Kate Scott said...

This looks like an excellent novel! I love war stories. It makes the plot seem epic somehow. = )

Kim Vogel Sawyer said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review IN EVERY HEARTBEAT. I also very much appreciate the kind comments. When an author sends a story into the world, she hopes the characters find friends. In this case, they did--so bless you.

I also wanted to give a quick caution to Kate... Although the story is set on the brink of WWI, the war angle plays a very small role in the overall theme. Didn't want you to be disappointed if you choose to read the story and expected a strong war element.

Thank you again! God bless...

Diana Flowers said...

I have not been blessed to read this book yet. Please enter me!

dianalflowers@aol.com

Casey said...

I loved this book too! The characters are fantastic. :)

I have an award for you too, Carman!

http://enjoyingthewritingcraft.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-award.html

apple blossom said...

thanks for the heads up and review of this book.

Unknown said...

Wow does this look good or what?! I've read a few of Kim Vogel Sawyers and have one waiting on my shelf to be read. Sawyer is one of my favorite authors!

Hopefully I'll be able to read this book soon!

misskallie2000 said...

This does sound like a great story and one I would like to read. Thanks for your honest review.

misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

Carman said...

Katy~ Well, I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it. :D

Michelle~ Oh, I hope so too!

Kate~ I completely agree with you on that!

Carman said...

Kim~ Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog! I appreciate that. :) You are very welcome. I was glad I was able to read it!

Diana~ I am sorry, but this is only a review, not a giveaway. :/

Casey~ Thanks so much! I stopped by and left a comment. :D

Carman said...

Apple Blossom~ Thanks for commenting!

Kait~ I hope you get to read this soon! I truly enjoy reading her books and I hope that you do with this one as well!

MissKallie~ Well, you are welcome! That you for commenting! :)